Friday, 2 June 2017

So many things going on

Life catches up so quickly when your bogged down in family history, there are so many things we have been doing and yet where do you start and finish.

Blogger - I have been updating my blog page and reading how to keep people interested and do people read your blog. Well I enjoy writing it and if you read it and enjoy it then goal achieved. My new layout is hopefully easier to read.

So whats been happening.
My gggrandfather was recently honoured by our local council as a pioneer in the area and he now has a plaque in the local walk of achievers path and we attended a lovely lunch that was provided by the council and met the other recipients of the awards. You forget or sometimes don't realise how many amazing people spend a tiny bit of their lives in your area. I often find when doing data entry a fascinating story about something or someone that I know nothing about.
Tom King was a policeman in the Wide Bay area for many years and then went on to be a timber worker for a short period on Fraser Island and then Tom and his wife Jane built the Urangan Hotel.

At the Walk of Achievers luncheon we gathered as descendants and proud to be a part of the King clan :) this photo was taken after the plaque was unveiled and a photo we will hold dear for years to come .  Since then we have been exploring more family connections and adding more to the story of the family.

Missing Family
I often find when trying to fill in the gaps in my family history you just can not find the missing link to build the tree and one side of my family the Hunters have alluded me so far till the luncheon and Dale Clayton nee Hunter who attended the luncheon is my Mums cousin and she opened her home to us to catch up and what an amazing time we had.

David and Florence Hunter nee King have the most amazing history in Queensland they run a dairy called Tilsons for a few years and had 80 odd cows to maintain in Granville and they then moved to Ipswich where David worked in the Railways then back to Maryborough where they settled in Ann St and David went to work at Walkers and he stayed in that house for nearly 32 years. I got the most amazing insite into the family just from one coffee session, okay it was a long session

Things you learn 
One of the most conflicting things I have discovered when your doing your family story is how to present it and how to make it readable to everybody so I have been using onedrive to upload the books into and have them in a word format and with a spreadsheet as an index. I think it has been working well and everybody can access it anywhere and don't need any special software to read the stories....

DNA... test submitted

I have over the last couple of years been watching the dna revolution and have watched in interest how people have used the dna results, then I got to checkout Cathys ( a distant rellie) and then on a plastering job one day I got to see the one a client who had his paternal one done through a different company and he got some interesting results so I got 2 kits one for me to do the heritage test and I have an amazing Uncle who is going to do the paternal one to see if we can trace the paternal life more comprehensively. So mine is up and running and on its way to the labs and now I will wait for my Uncle to come home to do his and I will wait impatiently for my results to come through. The bonus is with Cathy's results and mine we should be able compare to see how to utilise the data to its max. So I will keep you up to date on the awesome things happening there.

Research unravels mysteries
I have been searching for a missing link to an abandoned baby for so long.. the baby was found in a hut and raised by a different family. Since first hearing the first version of this story I have doubted it I think because I have such an inquisitive mind and then the other day I had this tiny little link that gave me a whole new direction. So don't ever give up if the true story is there it will come out.

So I think I have kept you occupied for long enough, stay tuned and I will post my next story which has not a thing to do about my family but I was doing data entry today and found an amazing story about the Mail Train Murders.... I will put it all on here.. enjoy and catch you soon

No comments:

Post a Comment